Sov, DOOM, Dilla and ACEEEED!

So for what is probably my first legitimate post, here are some legitimately old mp3s. Well, three of them fit that description, one gets a pass.

Lady Sovereign - Hoodie (Spank Rock Remix)
Vast Aire - Super Friendz (Edan Remix feat. MF DOOM)

Do you remember when websites posted free music you could download? Yeah? Kinda, sorta? Well, both of these tracks were from an EP posted on adult swim in 2006. It featured six tracks from artists on the Chocolate Industries label. I don't know how Chocolate Industries worked something out with adult swim, but they ended up dropping a few digital freebies through them, all of which have now been wiped from the official adult swim sites. You can find some of them via archive.org's Wayback Machine though if you really want them.

Chocolate Industries had a pretty good distribution deal in place along with good artists and releases, though I've heard the guy who ran the label was scummy and his big talent was not paying his artists. Indie label trying to act like a major, sounds believable, eh? Anyway, along with releases that had ties to Miami's Schematic label and New York's Def Jux among others, they were always trying to get to the next level, and so they dropped this peculiar EP, known as Chocolate Swim, which featured remixes and rarities from artists like Diverse, Yasiin Bey PKA Mos Def, Kovas, Ghislain Poirier, and the above referenced Lady Sovereign and Vast Aire.

The Lady Sov track was remixed by XXXChange with a guest appearance by Naeem PKA Spank Rock himself. It's a major improvement over the original mix, even if this version is censored. Sov actually dropped a 7" with the uncensored version of this Hoodie mix and another Spank Rock/XXXChange remix of Ch Ching. Honestly, I wonder if Sov's career could've been extended via a full remix album by XXXChange as his production is awesome! She was fun and entertaining, but her beats were awfully thin, to the point that not even a Missy Elliott guest spot could save the day.

As for Vast Aire, he continued his increasingly bizarre career choices after the success of Cannibal Ox's The Cold Vein by hopping from Def Jux to any labels that would have him and eventually crowdfunding a second Cannibal Ox album years after the flame was gone, and without El-P on the beats. His first post-Jux release was Look Ma, No Hands, which featured production from a wide range of artists and lots of guest spots, several from Def Jux alumni. For the original Super Friendz, MF DOOM himself provided the beat and shared the mic. This remix though, done by wonderful hip-hop weirdo, Edan, is amazing, turning one of DOOM's very obvious sample-sourced beats into a psychedelic classic. And that's no knock on DOOM's production, it's charmingly simple, allowing him and anyone else to get loose on a track with ease, but Edan slips it some PCP and gets wacky with it. Gotta love it.

D'Angelo - Me and Those Dreamin' Eyes of Mine (Jay Dee Remix)

This one is a personal favorite. I was going to use an old mp3 from a rip of DJ House Shoes' bootleg 12" of unreleased Dilla remixes, but decided to use this remaster I made a year or two ago. As I understand the story, Dilla turned this in for a single but D'Angelo's label at the time, EMI, turned it down, and he was pretty upset about it. D'Angelo must have felt differently though since he and Dilla worked together as fellow Soulquarians on his Voodoo album a few years later. That said, this should've been released without question. The original lays a smooth groove for D'Angelo to get lovely on, but the groove is a bit simple. Dilla finds a new groove as equally beautiful as D'Angelo's vocals, and keeps it funky enough to bump in your ride. Love it, love it, LOVE IT!

When I remastered this, I used the best quality copy of the track I could find. I used a lossless source, but I'm sure it wasn't truly lossless, so I just tried to make it sound as clean and lovely as possible. I put it on a mixtape I shared with a few people. Maybe I'll share that mix here eventually. It's a nice downbeat tape, kinda sad, but still lovely.

Pizzy Yelliot - Could You Be Loved (Mungolian Jet Set 303 Acid Mix)

A guy I knew on slsk whose screen name was niceandcomplete gave me the Mungolian Jet Set remix of the Kreeps' All I Wanna Do Is Break Some Hearts and I was blown away. I should be posting that here today, but it'll have to wait, because as incredible as that track is, when I heard this one I had a new favorite. Take a weirdo cover of a Bob Marley classic, done with synths, drum machines and strangely pitched-up vocals, and it's already pretty good, albeit kinda slow. The MJS, who were also involved in Pizzy Yelliot, dropped this remix where they sped up the track, let those acid vibes run free, and brought in a weird preacher-like voice to explain the wonders of acid. Be it the drug or the music, they were clearly enraptured by the effects. I've never done the drug, I'm not into drugs, but the music is otherworldly. So if you want something to feel fucked up to, this one will send you to Mars and back.

Pizzy Yelliot only released this one single. The original mix made an appearance or two on compilations, but this remix was bound to the 12". I looked for a digital release but could only find this loose mp3 on the aforementioned slsk. I eventually bought the 12", and it sounds lovely, but this mp3 sounds better to my ears for whatever reason. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Comments

  1. Thanks for the Dilla/D'Angelo remix. I have always preferred the live takes on the track, like on that London show that came out in Japan. Time to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lisa Lisa & C+C Music Factory

there's a message in my alpha bits. it says oooooooo.

REALLY OLD BOOTLEGS! PART TWO