the plural of vinyl is vinyl

I don't think it's been too long since my last post, but it's been a little longer than I initially planned. In my defense, I spent about 12 hours in the ER with my wife last night, and that will derail just about anything you're trying to do. So, please forgive me that I don't have the next download ready to go. That said, I whipped up a little something to hopefully tide everyone over until I get more secret vinyl downloads ready. 

A little backstory; my wife underwent a fairly significant surgery about a month ago, and in the days leading up to it, I dealt with the stress by playing records and recording them to listen to while she was in surgery and recovery. It was all a little OCD, but my rules were that I wouldn't do any clean-up to the tracks after recording them. I haven't followed that rule to the letter, but I've kept the tracks mostly untouched. Originally, I wanted about two hours worth of tracks to listen to, but I kept playing and recording, even after surgery while she was recovering at home, and now I've got about 12 hours of tracks in a folder I let play randomly. I've probably listened to most of that stuff more than anything else in recent history, barring Erlend Øye, Souls of Mischief, Squid and the Ferris Bueller's Day Off soundtrack. So as a holdover until my next vinyl post, I've made a small mix for your listening enjoyment. I don't think it perfectly represents what the 12 hour collection sounds like as this is a bit hip-hop heavy, but I like all of these tracks and I hope you will too. Link and track list follows below.


the plural of vinyl is vinyl


01 dälek - Classical Homicide

Original 12" version from a split single with Techno Animal.

02 The Avalanches - Tonight May Have to Last Me All My Life (Edan Remix)

Taken from the deluxe reissue of The Avalanches' Since I Left You. Deluxe vinyl rip coming soon!

03 Thelma Houston - 96 Tears (Remix)

Damn, this is good.

04 DJ Magic Mike & MC Madness - Dynamic Duo (Commercial/Video Remixed)

Madness is alright, but Mike makes a great track.

05 Miles Davis - Rubberband (Original Version)

This isn't really the "original version", as that appeared on a Warner Bros. collection of Miles' albums for them. Rather, this is a new mix made for the Rubberband album that came out a year or two ago. I really like this version, and it's definitely closer to the true original mixes made during the initial sessions for the unreleased, original Rubberband album. Damn, I had to say original a lot there.

06 Boogie Down Productions - You Must Learn (Live from Caucus Mountains Remix)

07 Couchois - Do It in Darkness (4/12/79 Acetate)

This is from an actual 10" acetate for a 7" that I got at Jerry's Records years ago in Pittsburgh. The song is okay, but nothing great. I ripped it because it's an odd curio in my collection and it will slide into just about any mix without disturbing the groove.

08 Consolidated - Butyric Acid (Oblomov Syndrome Instrumental)

This is the instrumental of a Jack Dangers/Meat Beat Manifesto remix. I like the vocal version, though the rap is a bit political, so I focused on the instrumental since it's very good, vocal or not.

09 Amerie - One Thing (Mr. K Rework)

Danny Krivit bootleg remix/rework/re-edit. I want to get a copy of his edit of Aretha Franklin's Rock Steady.

10 The Flying Lizards - Money (Single Edit)

David Cunningham, could you please put out some unheard Flying Lizards stuff? PLEASE?

11 KMD - Nitty Gritty (Dog Spelled Backwards Mix)

Great remix with Brand Nubian and Busta Rhymes over Cat Stevens' Was Dog a Doughnut. Got this from a white label promo that was in a box of stuff a radio station was giving away.

12 East Flatbush Project - Tried By 12 (Squarepusher Mix)

13 Beastie Boys - And What You Give Is What You Get

14 Egon - Bold Soul

Egon's sole album, Curse of the Evil Badger, is pretty good, but he's a much better DJ and archivist than a beat maker. Still, someone needs to go off on this track, it's just too damn funky!

15 Too Poetic - God Made Me Funky (Funky Vocal Remix)

Got this from the same giveaway box as the KMD 12". Also a white label, very similar in appearance to my Uptown 12". Great remix. R.I.P. Poetic.

16 The Pharcyde - Soul Flower (2 Tha 3 Mix)

Yeah yeah, I know, I just posted this in lossless on the last post. It's great though, and this one isn't declicked, so whatever. I love it when a producer goes nuts jackin' beats left and right!

17 Romeo & Master Rhyme - Crackerjack (Delicious Version)

There was a strange beef created by this record between Romeo & Master Rhyme and N.W.A. back in the day. Delicious Vinyl wasn't having it, so this was the only record they put out for Romeo & Master Rhyme. The original is good, but this Matt Dike remix is great, especially since he drops in weird samples from The Time's Tricky. That's not actually Morris in the sample though, but Prince basically doing his best Morris impression. I wish I'd gotten to speak to Matt Dike, as I wanted to ask him about all the obscure Prince samples I've noticed in his work. R.I.P. Matt.

18 Beck - Clap Hands

The live version is great, but the studio version is slept-on awesome. Dust Brothers on the cut!

19 Rick Rubin - Dust Cloud

Rick did this track for a Tommy Boy compilation with the proceeds going to a charity back in the 80s. Definitely sounds like his drum machines. This track is pretty slow but funky, though it's also quite fun sped up to 45.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lisa Lisa & C+C Music Factory

there's a message in my alpha bits. it says oooooooo.

Ka-meel (sic)