Secret Vinyl Download #3

So, I kinda slipped on the last post and shared something I'd previously posted somewhat recently. How recent? A few months. Previously, it wasn't hi-res lossless, so I guess it's okay, but it makes me feel silly if I'm spinning my wheels, so... and now for something completely different.

Since I'm not posting metadata that would lead someone to these posts through a search engine, I suppose I can say a little more about some of them. This one is a VERSION of a very well known, self-titled album by what is arguably the most important band of the 20th century. This self-titled album, colloquially known as the "white album", is, again, very well known. This version though was compiled by an individual named Rutherford Chang as part of a traveling art presentation he has shown all over the world. You can learn more about it herehere and here. It is a recording of 100 unique copies of this "white album" being played at the same time, all taken from his collection of over 2,500 copies. They start off close to synchronous but begin diverging from each other rather wildly, making for a very trippy experience.

800 copies of this version were pressed by Mr. Chang. Most of the packaging can be seen at the second link provided. I thought it was great so I got one and it sat in my collection. That said, I don't buy records to let them sit around, even if I don't play them often, so I made my own hi-res rip of it and am sharing it here with you. I have done almost nothing to these rips apart from editing additional noise from the beginning and ends of each side so you hear only what is supposed to be there along with the removal of one or two loud clicks that shouldn't be in the recording. It's vinyl, it's noisy sometimes, even on the first play.

I wish I knew more about how Mr. Chang did this recording. Did he have 100 turntables playing at the same time? If yes, how did he start them all at once? Did he record them individually and then mix them together? If it was recorded live, did he use the live mix or create the final mix later on? All I know is this is a wonderful project that really sounds like nothing else. I hope you enjoy it.












Secret Vinyl Download #3



P.S. - I know I shouldn't be announcing anything yet as it's going to be a few weeks before it's ready, but I'm working on my first Homemade Deluxe Edition in forever. I'm putting it together all from vinyl sources and I'm waiting on a very weird Japanese import to help finish it. It's a very well-known hip-hop classic which has gotten the deluxe treatment a few times already, but I think my version will be rather notable, both for being sourced from vinyl, some of which is pretty hard to come by, and for also being hi-res. There may even be a rare track or two that haven't appeared on other releases, at least not regularly. Points if you can guess what album I'm talking about. Now if I only had their demo tape. J.Rocc, Michael Ross, whomever, wanna help a guy out?

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing this! I hadn't heard of it before and it floors me. Listening to it is a couple things for me. It's like a warm blanket when things begin to meld together in the latter half of a side, but recognizable glimmers peak out. It's also kind of mind-blowing in the same way that listening to KLF’s Chill Out was the first time I heard that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lisa Lisa & C+C Music Factory

there's a message in my alpha bits. it says oooooooo.

Ka-meel (sic)