Secret Vinyl Download #2

For the second volume of vinyl rips, I selected some singles to share with you. Again, all of these are rather hi-res rips, and with two minor exceptions, they're all from original pressings, as in not reissues or bootlegs. I'm not planning on doing another batch of singles, and I'm generally not beholden to pressings having to be originals and not reissues, but who knows what I might dig out. As for bootlegs, there is a time and place for them, and I own some too. I've actually got two that I plan on sharing eventually, one I ripped for a friend which is definitely not something I'd normally listen to, and the other a ridiculously nutty private pressing that I'll discuss when the time comes. As for now, I'll give a little information on each of the records based on their alphabetical order in the download folder.

1) This is from RSD 2010 and was released in advance of the version of their album that was supposed to be released then but was canceled due to some health issues. That album was reworked and issued eventually, as were the original versions of these two remixes, which were produced by individuals known to give one a full-on BRAINFREEZE. The first track's name was given by me, as it's otherwise not officially named, whereas the second track was named by the person who made it on one of their own releases.

2) This is a white label pressing from 2005. The a-side got an official release on a remix comp, but the b-side has never been issued elsewhere. Personally, I think they dropped the ball on this, as the b-side is superior.

3) Another record from those who gave the aforementioned brainfreeze, this is the original promo 12" from 97. It was initially canceled due to sample clearance issues on the b-side, but those issues were eventually resolved and both of these versions were released elsewhere. The a-side mix isn't that rare, though I've seen it butchered due to sample issues in semi-recent history. The b-side isn't nearly as readily available, at least as far as I can tell. It's a remix of certain, rather popular, European group with a lot of synthesizers and a gloomy vibe, though still very dancey.

4) One of my prized possessions! An original copy of the artist's privately pressed 12" from 84! If you don't know what these are, where have you been all these years? After years of these not being available officially ANYWHERE, they're actually available for purchase via their Bandcamp page and sound wonderful! If you love these guys as much as I do, visit them and buy these tracks, which are all very affordable and have been remastered from the original tapes. My only complaint is one of the classics seems to be from a new mix and is slightly different because of that. Minor issue.

As a bonus, I've included two bonus tracks from these masters of their field, one being the third mix of their original trilogy from an official promo re-pressing, and the other being a then-new mix that was featured on that 12" exclusively at the time. It should be noted that the trilogy has officially become a quadrilogy (that's not even a real word!?), and you can hear the fourth part at their aforementioned Bandcamp.

5) A personal favorite from a Washington-based indie that was released in 94. There is a better known cover of it that is more readily available by one of their contemporaries and collaborators. I don't support the entirety of the message of this song, but I love the energy and agree with the chorus, "take a stand, fuck the man!" Very funky!

6) Early promo for a ubiquitous single from 91. This version didn't even list the artist, just a large question mark with Guess Who? written beneath it, though the producers and their then very recognizable logo appeared beneath that. Neither of these mixes were even given a proper release, and it sounds like some samples may have been removed or changed. I really like it and this has become my go-to version of this track.

7) Promo single for a British label's release of an album by a member of a classic and well-respected hip-hop crew from the early nineties. This track appears on the album it's representing, but the samples are completely different and the instrumental is otherwise unavailable to the best of my knowledge. It was produced by and features two gentlemen that would go on to work with each other not long after. R.I.P. DOOM.

8) This is from an original US 12". Beautifully high-fidelity pressing from 1982. It's worth noting that this group had to change their name slightly in the US, dropping two letters from the end of their name due to a legal challenge, though this is from before that happened. Yeah, it's available everywhere, but who cares, it's great.






Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lisa Lisa & C+C Music Factory

there's a message in my alpha bits. it says oooooooo.

Ka-meel (sic)