THE FULL DIGIT: The Revenge of George Clinton's Smelly Finger!

So, as I mentioned previously, the sampler of demos for George Clinton's Hey Man Smell My Finger album that I'd posted were only part of a bigger forthcoming release. Well, here it is, the full enchilada!

For a little background on what's been done here, first off, this is a Coco Bros release, meaning it was done by my friend and I. I'm not sure if he wants his name broadcasted just yet, even if it's only his first name, so I'll just say that I ripped the tape and denoised it, and he gave it a professional mastering job because he's a PROFESSIONAL! There is some silence removed from between tracks but I made sure not to touch the musical content. There is also an edit at the end of High in My Hello as my tape cut off, so I added a beat or two so it ended more smoothly. I did the artwork by taking a black and white photo on yellow paper from the Hey Man press kit, running it through a random glitch tool until I found a pic I liked, and adding some text. 

The last four tracks aren't from the Hey Man Smell My Finger era. It's assumed they're from the early to mid-eighties, and are probably demos intended for other performers. The quality of these demos is also less impressive than the Smell My Finger demos, probably because they were copied and traded more frequently.

If my explanation isn't very deep, sorry, but there isn't much to tell. The story of how I got the tape is probably more interesting, but even that's pretty straightforward. Basically, as a Prince fan in the early nineties, trading tapes with fans, I found out that demos for the album George Clinton had been working on were making the rounds and found some folks that had them. I actually got multiple tapes, some with different versions, but unfortunately all I have as of today is the cassette that I ripped. It's almost thirty years old and still sounds good, albeit hissy. It sat in my collection since most of these tracks were available elsewhere, though mostly never in great quality. I ripped them about a decade ago and shared them on my old blog, but the quality there was rather poor, so when I saw a discussion of this era of George's work, it made me wonder if I could improve upon my old rip. Well, it's a huge improvement and, if you're a fan of George and P-Funk (as well as Prince since he does pop up here), I'm sure you'll find plenty to enjoy. And so, on with the show!


George Clinton - Smell These Demos

01 The Flag Was Still There

02 Rhythm and Rhyme

03 Dis Beat Disrupts

04 Kickback

05 Oil Spill

06 Way Up

07 We Can Funk

08 Your Mother

09 High in My Hello

10 Pony

11 Booty

12 Get Satisfied

13 This Groove (Is Gonna Make You Move)

14 Outer Space

15 There's No Place Like Home

16 Hot Sauce (Smoke Gets in Your Eyes)

17 The Girl's Got Pizazz



P.S. - I'll be back later this week with another surprise, the unreleased hip-hop album I'd mentioned on Twitter. Also, did I ever share some unreleased Luna stuff from the early to mid-nineties? I seriously can't remember, so I might have to post it soon regardless.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lisa Lisa & C+C Music Factory

there's a message in my alpha bits. it says oooooooo.

Ka-meel (sic)