George Clinton's Smelly Finger

So I said on my Twitter last night that I wouldn't have another post until probably next week. Well, surprise, I apparently lied to myself, because last night I found a tape I'd been looking for, ripped it, and put way too much work into it while still managing to watch tv with my wife. I wouldn't consider it done though, as my partner in the Coco Bros is doing some clean-up before we put the whole thing out, so consider this a little work in progress sampler of something to come soon, that being a tape of demos for George Clinton's Hey Man Smell My Finger album that dates from around 91 or 92, along with some other unreleased tracks most likely from some time in the 80s.

For a little background on this tape, I got this a while before George's finished Smell My Finger album dropped, and I thought they sounded really good at the time, so I was truly blown away when I heard the finished album. In case you haven't heard it, it doesn't really sound like traditional P-Funk, more like George and company made some funky tracks and then let people loose on them with George updating them further as things went on. It's mostly a very crisp sounding album, that while sounding very 90s, mostly transcends that era rather well. It's worth hunting down a copy to check out if you're unfamiliar with it, and there are tons of guests on it, with a small list of featured players including everyone from Prince and Herbie Hancock to Ice Cube and the dearly departed Shock G/Humpty Hump. The other tracks, as I noted, are most likely from the 80s, and I think the reference to SCTV's Great White North makes it pretty clear they're probably from the rather early 80s.

So here are some samples for your listening pleasure. I transferred them at 24 bit, 48 kHz audio, denoised them through iZotope RX, and edited them in SoundForge. The final versions will probably sound a bit louder and maybe a bit clearer, as my partner is a master in their field. Hope you enjoy them.


George Clinton - Dis Beat Disrupts

George Clinton - Pony

George Clinton - Get Satisfied

George Clinton - Outer Space

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lisa Lisa & C+C Music Factory

there's a message in my alpha bits. it says oooooooo.

REALLY OLD BOOTLEGS! PART TWO